We welcome Chef Hubert Keller to Columbus, Ohio for the WOSU Public Media Chefs in the City event. The star dish of the evening was Chef Keller’s All-Ohio Signature Short Rib Burger. This is no surprise—burgers are Chef Keller’s business. He owns and operates Burger Bar restaurants in San Francisco, Las Vegas, and St. Louis in addition to Fleur de Lys in San Francisco, Fleur by Hubert Keller in Las Vegas.
If you are interested in building your own burger, check out Chef Keller’s book Burger Bar: Build Your Own Ultimate Burgers.
During Chef Keller’s cooking demo, he shared burger tips that can help us create our own signature burgers:
Chef Hubert Keller Burger Tips
1. Wet your hands to help with stickiness
2. Don’t overwork the meat
3. Have your butcher grind the meat on the spot (or grind your own meat if you are really inspired)
4. Add a surprise in the middle of the burger (braised short ribs in this case)
5. Use a hot American cast iron pan
6. Cook burger the same way you cook filet mignon (sear it to seal the juices, cook to desired level, let rest)
Chef Keller’s recipe for the All-Ohio Signature Short Rib Burger is on our recipe tab here.
To see additional photos from Chefs in the City as well as DJ Keller spinning at Due Amici, see our Facebook page.
To hear Chef Keller’s own words about his experience as the first chef in the White House, his favorite food, and scoop from inside the set of Bravo’s Top Chef and his PBS series Secrets of a Chef, click on our post here.